How to Hire the Right Landscaping Contractor near Troy Vermont
Like so many homeowners your yard is not looking so attractive and you really need a qualified landscaping company near Troy VT but have no idea how to locate one. And since you have tremendous pride in your home, you need to make sure that you hire the right service. Selecting the right landscaper will not only result in a far more appealing lawn and garden, but can also add more pleasure to your outdoor summer activities. And if you have your home on the market, any realtor will tell you that a successful sale is all about curb appeal. The range of services that you have at your disposal can be as limited as having your lawn cut once a week to having a landscape designer or architect transform your yard to suit your own sense of style. Perhaps your trees need to be trimmed and your bushes need pruning? And in the winter many landscaping contractors offer services for snow removal as well. No matter what you need, choosing from among the various local landscaping services can take a lot of time and due diligence on your part. After all, if after the work is completed you are not happy with the results, you can’t just return your yard for a refund. However, there is an easier way to locate highly skilled and reputable landscaping companies in your area. We’ll talk more about that later. But first, we’ll cover how to perform your research when hiring a local service.
Not Just Lawn Mowing
For many Troy VT homeowners, their first introduction to a landscaping company is when they are looking for a service to mow their lawn. From there that need often develops into requiring a full service landscaper that can offer a broad menu of services. Even in the fall and winter months, the need can continue with leaf removal for the lawn as well as snow removal for driveways and sidewalks. So it is important to select a contractor that offers the wide range of services that you will need. Many will list the array of services they offer on their websites, providing colorful pictures of projects that they have worked on. Checking out their sites can be a good initial first step to finding the perfect match. An option that is becoming more popular is to use a referral service that matches the customer with experienced and screened landscaping contractors that work in their area. Some of the services that homeowners can receive proposals for include:
- Lawn mowing and maintenance
- Weed elimination and control
- Tree trimming and removal
- Bush and shrub trimming and pruning
- Sprinkler installation and repair
- Sod installation and grass seeding
- Tree, plant, bush and shrub planting
- Water features installation and maintenance
- Snow and leaf removal
Some Troy VT companies may offer additional services, such as installing outdoor lighting or brick patios and retaining walls. When making your inquiries, you will want to confirm that their main focus is either residential or commercial landscaping, depending on your needs. Also, if you have a unique project, such as a water feature, make sure that the landscaper has extensive experience installing them. Finally, you may want to inquire about seasonal contracts for your annual lawn care needs as well as fall leaf and winter snow removal.
How to Choose a Local Landscaping Contractor
Now that you know who they are and what they do, let’s take a look at some important steps you should take to find and hire a reputable contractor for landscaping at your home or place of business. The first thing that you should keep in mind is that you need to do your due diligence to protect yourself. Yes, there are City, County and State laws in place requiring minimum standards for licensed contractors. Although all contractors must follow the regulations in place, not all do. And even the most stringent laws will not protect you from poor workmanship, delays or unfinished projects. At least they won’t until after the fact when you are looking for restitution, which you may or may not receive. So it is important that you take the following steps to not only protect yourself but ensure that you are hiring a reliable Troy VT landscaping expert to maintain your lawn, garden or shrubberies.
- Get Referrals. Soliciting referrals from satisfied customers is a good way to find a reputable and professional Troy VT landscaping contractor. Friends, neighbors and family are always good resources to start with. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors. They ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free quotes from local landscapers in your area by requesting a quote from the recommended service on this website.
- Be sure to verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the Troy VT contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in Vermont or your City or Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the Vermont Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the Contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually high or even low, ask them why. Be sure to ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will the job take, or if they anticipate there will be any problems or delays. Be wary if the Troy VT landscaping contractor doesn’t ask you many questions about your requirements or concerns.
- Ask for and check References. Before making the final selection, ask for and check at least 3 Troy VT area references. Ask each previous customer if the job was completed to their utmost satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they use the contractor again or recommend their service to their friends and family?
- And finally, get everything In Writing. After making your final selection, be sure to review all of the documents that your Troy VT landscaping contractor has prepared for you. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Compensation as well as the Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the insurance company to verify that the policies are both current. Verify that they will obtain a Building Permit if required for installation projects. Make sure that all services, materials and costs are included in detail in the final proposal. Also make sure that the deposit and payment schedule is specified so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
Looking for Landscapers in Troy Vermont?
If you live in the Troy VT area and are looking for a professional landscaping service, the following information may be both interesting and informative regarding the history of your place of residence.
Troy is a town in Orleans County, Vermont, United States. The population was 1,662 at the 2010 census. Troy contains two villages: the unincorporated village of Troy, and the incorporated village of North Troy.
In the winter of 1799, a small party of Indians, led by their chief, Captain Susap, joined the colonists at Troy, built their camps on the river and wintered near them. These Indians were nearly starving, which probably arose from the moose and deer, which formerly abounded here, being destroyed by the settlers. Their principal employment was making baskets, birch-bark cups and pails, and other Indian trinkets. They left in the spring and never returned. One of the party was a squaw, Molly Orcutt, who became quite noted among the settlers as a healer. She was found dead on Mount white Cap, in East Andover, Maine, in 1817, having died, it is believed, at an age of 140 years.
In one of the stranger chapters in Vermont history, researcher and scientist Gerald Bull constructed the Space Research Corporation in Highwater the town's Quebec neighboring city, in 1967. His intent was to fire research packages into orbit using heavy artillery. This laboratory straddled the Vermont border. Bull was ultimately imprisoned for violating international regulations regarding an embargo on South Africa. This resulted in the bankruptcy of his corporation.
Yard Landscaping Troy VT
Searching for the right landscaping company is easier than you think. You originally came to our website because you had an interest in finding out more about the topic Yard Landscaping. But now that you are here, you can request your free landscaping estimates now! There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the best pre-screened landscaping companies servicing your area. Professional lawn care, snow removal and tree service professionals are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Find the right Troy VT landscaping professional at the right price now!
More Landscaped Locations in Vermont